Sustainability with Hydes
- Many leather companies will try to dazzle with “Green Guarantees” and other such marketing. These documents are redundant. All Italian tanneries must adhere to the strictest guidelines as prescribed by the European Union. South American regulations are working to catch up, but currently do not have a failsafe method for regulating their tanneries. Both our raw hides and finished goods are 100% European and therefore 100% regulated.
- One of the most important points to consider when purchasing leather is that the material is a byproduct of the meat industry. Animals are never harmed solely for the use of their skins. The skins used to make Hydes' products would otherwise become landfill.
- While leather tanning is a complicated process it uses far fewer chemicals than producing synthetic fabrics such as vinyl and fabric. Also, leather is a much more durable product than most, lasting far longer than fabric. This reduces replacement costs, as well as unnecessary waste from replacing worn upholstery.
- During the tanning process, the dyes and other ingredients used are carefully measured for each production run, so that virtually 100% of these products are absorbed into the leather hides.
- Whenever possible, natural products are used during the tanning process, including vegetable tannins and oils. Most of our leather finishes are made from water-based materials.
- Remnant water generated by our tanneries is directed to special treatment facilities that return it to the environment as clean as rain water.
- Leather does not require harsh cleaning agents. On the contrary, we recommend light dusting with a dry cloth, and only when necessary using a slightly damp cloth. *Please note that different leathers require different cleaning techniques. Please consult our leather care page for guidance.
- At Hydes, we believe that small initiatives can lead to big changes. We reduce, reuse, and recycle in every aspect of our work.
If you have any questions on our sustainability approach, please email email@example.com